Saturday, February 19, 2011

What do You do on a Saturday?

Oh this lovely, gloomy, rainy day. How I love thee! I seriously do love rainy cold days. I think I could live quite nicely in the upper Washington area. Saturdays are low key for us, usually. I try to keep it that way because the week days kick us in the rumps. However, once Spring hits and the kids start their various soccer, soccer, softball, lacrosse, gymnastics routine, I have a feeling that our low key Saturdays will be a thing of the past! Ah well. I can't say that I won't be enjoying myself out there rooting for my kids on the fields. I love that :)

A couple of weeks back, my friend and I went to the Relief Society birthday party. We had such a good time, even though I  like to stick with the Primary and not mess with the adults very much. :) The speakers were Michael and Darcy Kennedy. Michael is a direct descendant of Joseph Smith, the first to be baptized since his death, I believe. He really had fun stories to share and his testimony was strong. It was cute to see he and his wife interact and her be totally, "no honey, you forgot this part." The sisters had put together an ancestry theme and some women brought things from their past. It was  really quite interesting and fun to look at all the history in the room. It kind of didn't hurt that my friend and I were in the back causing mischief either. :)

The reason for that story? It brings us to what the Nicholas whan is doing today. I decided to make yummy cookies that we got from said event. This recipe came from Emma Smith. We were lucky enough to get a goodie bag full of these cookies which we promptly hid from our husbands and our children. I was hooked. They were so yummy and the recipe looked relatively easy to make. Since I'm being all domestic and nurturing which is rare!ha! I thought I would share the recipe with all of you. And, don't worry to all my friends and family who do not share my faith, you won't grow horns if you make/eat them. not the first time anyway!

Emma's Brown Sugar Cookies
  1 cup butter, at room temperature
  1 cup granulated sugar
  1 cup brown sugar, packed
  2 eggs, well beaten
  2 cups sifted all purpose flour
 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  1/2 tsp salt
  1/2 baking soda
  1 tsp vanilla extract
  2 cups oats
  1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Cream butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Sift flour with baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Stir into butter mixture. Add vanilla, oats, and nuts and stir until well blended.  
       Drop by tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet . Flatten to 4 inch diameter. Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cookies should be slightly soft when removed from the oven.
Makes 22 large cookies.

**Note--this made about 4 dozen cookies for me. I only cooked them for  9-10 minutes. I don't know if my oven runs hotter than normal, but keep an eye on the cookies. **

Enjoy! :)

No comments: